Homemade Apple Pie | Anchors Aweigh

Pages

Homemade Apple Pie

I grew up learning how to make homemade pies with my Nana, and I get so excited making pies for Parker and thinking about one day teaching our children how to make them. This pie is a family favorite and one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted! It's actually one of the easier pies in terms of filling because you don't have to cook the filling ahead of time.

Ingredients:

Pie Filling:
6 cups pared, sliced apples
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 T flour
1 t cinnamon
1/8 t salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 T butter

Crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup crisco
1 t salt
4 T ice water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Begin making your crust by mixing flour and salt. Cut in crisco with a fork and add water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing well after each. Rub flour on your hands so the dough won't stick together. Pat dough in a ball and cut in half with a knife for a top and bottom pie crust. The bottom crust needs to be slightly larger, so make one half a little bigger than the other. Roll larger portion of dough onto a pastry cloth or paper towel with flour, and place dough in a pie plate. Reference my Chicken Pot Pie recipe to see step by step pictures for making the crust.
3.  In a small bowl, mix sugars, cinnamon, salt, and flour together.
4. Place 1/3 of the sliced apples in the uncooked pie shell. Sprinkle 1/3 sugar mixture over apples.
5. Place another 1/3 sliced apples and 1/3 sugar mixture in pie shell. Repeat again.
6. Pour heavy cream into the center of the apple/sugar mixture in the uncooked pie shell. Dot with butter.
7. Roll out remaining pie crust and place on top of the pie shell and filling. Lightly brush a little bit of heavy cream onto top crust and sprinkle with sugar.
8. Bake 1 hour or until crust is golden brown.


Nana always puts a "C" in the pie for Chelsea, so I kept that going and put a "P" in the pie for Parker. Happy eating!

5 comments :

Emily Stewart said...

Ok the end part is really cute with the letter. And I need to learn to be domestic like you and make Ryan pies. Just sayin!

Mom said...

Yummy!! Such the homemaker!! :) I can just taste that pie!!

Charity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charity said...

Oh wow this recipe is amazing and can would be so easy to veganized. I will have to tag this and try it and give you credit. I love family recipes!! I have actually been in the market for a pie plate your post just reminded me that I need to get one.

Charity
The Word of A Nerd

Emily @ Love, Pasta and a Tool Belt said...

Thank you for sharing this with me. I am wanting to try it soon! It sounds delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...